Sunday 13 May 2012

I wish to see the leaves alter into money

One afternoon before Maghrib, a woman came to my house.
" Would you like to buy my cassava, Mam?". I looked at her compassionately. It was getting dark and she still pushed her wheelbarrow. And what made me touched, she put her sleeping baby on the wheelbarrow on the sidelines of cassavas she sold.
" Is she sleeping? Why don't you put her in your house with someone?"
"She is not well, Mam and nobody at home, so I took her with me".
" Nobody at home?"
" My husband is working too, her elder sister is too young to take care her. I left the elder sister in take care of my neighbor".
The meeting in that shady afternoon took us talking more about her hard life.
" I don't know what will happen with my life, Mam. Before I left my house this afternoon, I stood on the meadow while looking at the tall oak trees before me. I was thinking about whether those leaves would alter into money that I need.......but yeah.. I know that's impossible...but...life is so hard for me. My daughter is sick, and I need money to pay my house rent", she ended her story with restrained tears.   
" I would buy all your cassavas and your corns".
" Really?All?"
I nodded. I didn't know the story she told me was true or not. I was just sure her happiness was true. When she received my payment she said thank you many times.
"Take the changes for you"
" But this is too much, Mam".
" It's okay, take it for your daughter. Take her to doctor after you finish selling your things".
" Thank you, Mam. May Allah get it back to you for your kindness to me today".
"Ameen... Thank you"