Tuesday 2 November 2010

Knowing and Understanding

In a Pickle: And Other Funny Idioms   Scholastic Dictionary Of Idioms   101 American English Idioms: Understanding and Speaking English Like an American

Let's notice some idioms about Knowing and Not Knowing about something below:
1. She knows the system inside out
It means: She knows every detail of it
2. When it comes to geography, he certainly knows his stuff
It means : He has a good knowledge on it
3. That book title has a familiar ring to it. I think I read it a long time ago.
It means : It sounds familiar/ I think I've heard it before
4. I am not sure if I know her, but the name rings the bell.
It means : I have a vague memory of someone with that name, but can't remember exactly
5. I haven't (got)/ don't have a clue how to use this camera
It means : I don't know at all
6.I haven't (got)/ don't have the faintest idea where she goes
It means : I really don't know at all
7. I haven't (got) / don't have the foggiest (idea) what this switch is for.
It means : I absolutely don't know at all
8. I can't for the life of me remember his first name.
It means : I can't remember at all
9. I am a bit out of touch with computer these days
It means : I used to know about them but don't know the latest development
10. I am sorry but that name doesn't ring any bells with me. ( very commonly used with name )
It means : I don't think I've ever heard it before; it is unfamiliar

Now, let's notice some idioms about Understanding or when we come to conclusions
1. I didn't know actually where you were staying, but Daniel said you were with a relative. So, I put two and two together and guessed it was that aunt of yours in Jakarta.
It means : conclude from the facts I knew....)
2. I am sorry, I got (hold of) the wrong ond of the stick. I thought you were complaining about something.
It means : cameto the wrong conclusion


How's your learning progress, Dear...
Hope everything runs well
If you still need more learning resources, please click here to go back to Idioms list

McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs      The Idiom Advantage: Fluency in Speaking and Listening   Essential Idioms in English: Phrasal Verbs and Collocations

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.